Friday, February 12, 2010

The Ice Slider from Ethiopia



Don't you just adore the Winter Olympics?

I love seeing all the girls decked out in their figure skating costumes and am amazed at those freestyle skiers. Not to mention the butterflies I get in my stomach when I watch the men on the luge!

We are so fortunate to live in a country that has so many of our own competing.

However, I would like to introduce you to Ethiopia's Robel Teklemariam from the men's cross-country ski competition. He notes that there's no word for "snow" in his native language, so Teklemariam goes by "Beredoe Shartate," which is loosely translated to mean "Ice Slider".

As the only Ethiopian in the Winter Games, he says "For me, I'm a team of one, but I'm representing 80 million people," he said. "It gives me a lot of pride and honor. It's the country that I love."


















It always touches my heart when countries around the world can only be represented by one or two athletes.

While I always will stand and cheer for Team USA, I also secretly cheer for the underdog.

No comments: