Thursday, November 11, 2010

Honoring A Veteran, My Grandfather Keith



I never had the pleasure of knowing my Grandfather Keith. However, I have spent so many hours talking with my Grandmother about him that I feel like I do.

I have stood on the steps where my Grandmother stood as she looked across the church lawn and saw him for the first time. I have stood at the doorstep of the house where they raised their family of eight children. I have put on his military jacket that still hangs in my Grandmother's closet.

When my Grandmother talks about him, she still has a twinkle in her eye and tells me that he was the love of her life.

On Veteran's Day, I would like to remember my Grandfather Keith. In the midst of World War II, my Grandfather then 29 years old with three small children at home, joined the Army because he felt that it was his duty as an American.

My Grandmother kept every letter he ever wrote her and he kept all of hers. While reading over some of the letters, I distinctly remember that even though he said that it was hard leaving his family that he wanted "to look back on this part of his life and be proud of it".

I am always so proud to say that my Grandfather was a World War II Veteran and for the sacrifices he made for all of us.


Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.
Winston Churchill

No comments: