Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Gurley Candles

Ever since I can remember, these pilgrim candles have always had a place on our Thanksgiving table. It was a little tradition in our family. I am not sure where they came from, but they were my Mom's, making them very important to me.

Over the years, they have traveled from my first tiny apartment in Cedarville, Ohio to my current home outside St. Louis. I just don't think it would be Thanksgiving with out them being displayed.

One year, when I had moved, I could not locate my candles in all of my boxes. I thought they were lost forever, so I typed in pilgrim candles and found the same candles in a smaller version from The Vermont Country Store. (If you are ever feeling nostalgic, check out their website for all types of goodies from the past).
This year, I was trying to find out more information about the origins of my candles and found that these candles are all over Ebay! I found that Gurley Candle Company was the maker and that this company started back in the 1930's. There are quite a few originals for sale and for all different holidays.

I also discovered that The Vermont Country Store had purchased the original candle molds from Gurley years ago and now sells reproductions (shown here below).
While I am sure people my age would consider them tacky, I love my Gurley Candles. I love them even more now, because of all the oohs and aahs I heard from 2 year old Sissyboo when I put them on display this year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.