Thursday, July 7, 2011

Edible Landscaping

Several years ago when we had our landscaping put in, I asked the landscapers to leave a bare patch of land next to the walkway for me to play around in. Every year I have had fun planting the typical summer annuals like petunias and impatiens. However, this year I wanted to try something new. So, when I read an article about edible landscaping I knew I had to give that a try.


In the middle of May when I started clearing out the vegetable/herb gardens in the back yard, I was surprised to find a little sprig of oregano and thyme growing. After the horribly cold winter, I didn't think any of my perennial herbs would return. But there they were, tiny as ever, but growing fast. So with those two herb plants and a Live Forever (that I snagged from my Grandmothers house last year), I started my own edible landscaped garden.

Since planting those three little plants, I have added some additional edible herbs, and perennial plants.

Here is how the garden looked when I first planted at the beginning of June:




Here it is as of last week with the plants tagged so you can see what all is in the garden:


Since this photo was taken, I have added a Lambs Ear plant and a Pink Yarrow. I am looking forward to adding a purple Echinacea this weekend to make the garden complete.

It has been fun to walk out the front door and clip the fresh and edible herbs for meals.

No comments: