Friday, March 12, 2010

Artichoke Season

Spring time is artichoke season and right now, you can find fabulous fresh artichokes in your grocery's produce section.

Several times while I was picking one out, other customers would ask me how they are prepared.

Here is your easy how to guide on preparing boiled artichokes.

Pick an artichoke that has tight uniformed leaves.


Give it a freshness test. Pull back on the top of a leaf to break in half. If it snaps, it is fresh. If it bends and is pliable, keep searching.


Once home, trim the pointed tips and cut off the entire top of the artichoke. (You can now sprinkle with lemon juice to keep the leaves from going brown, but I never do this!)




Now, pull the leaves slighly apart and rinse.


Place in lightly salted boiling water. (To help the artichoke from not bouncing around, you can either put another lid on top of it while boiling or an upside down steamer basket.)


Boil on a high simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. (You can tell when it is done because the leaves will just fall of the stem when easily plucked.)

Sprinkle with salt.


Dip the bottom of the leaf in melted butter.


Scrape the bottom portion off with your teeth (you will not want to eat the whole leaf, just scrape off bottom portion) and enjoy!


Here in our home, this is a favorite appetizer. Even my 19 month old Sissyboo loves them!

1 comment:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Oh, my! Now I'm really craving these. My hubby actually makes these for me (pretty much the same way) about once every Spring. I guess it's about that time...:)

Thanks so much for entering my giveaway!!