Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bloom Where You're Planted Wednesday: St. Louis City Museum

Over the past weekend, my nieces known here as Lovely (age 11) and Kind Heart (age 6) came for a visit. This was their first ever trip away from their parents. I was wanting to show them a good time on Saturday, so in the morning we headed to St. Louis Zoo and in the afternoon, we went to the craziest place called The City Museum.

The City Museum is the product of local artist Bob Cassilly's wild imagination. It is a collection of salvaged objects: trucks, cranes, buses. Industrial gears, rollers, pins, and rods. Building fragments: columns, grotesques, cupolas, cornices, statueary. On the outside, these artifacts have been assembled into a four-story-high gymnasium known as Monstro City. Inside, the museum is only slightly more tame, with tunnels, tubes and slides writhing through multiple stories of the old warehouse.

We had a blast crawling our way through tunnels and swoop down multi-story slides. To the point that here it is Wednesday and I can still feel the bruises on my knees! However, I wouldn't change a thing.

Here are a few pictures of The City Museum that I pulled by doing a Google Search.




If you are ever in the area, this is a must stop. However, I recommend that you don't take children younger than 5 years of age and that you follow your children through every twist and turn. By the end of the day, I guarantee that you will do things you never thought you would do!

No comments: