Thursday, February 17, 2011

Relish This...

When I was little, my Grandma Keirn made this incredible beet relish that we would put on hot dogs. It was so delicious that after all these years, I still long for it. Since she passed on when I was in college and I was really not into cooking at that time, I never asked her for the recipe.

Well, after searching the Internet for years, I finally came up with her recipe.


Beet Relish:
4 med. fresh beets
1 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. chopped onion
2 tsp. prepared horseradish
1/2 tsp. salt

Wash beets; cut off tops. Cook until tender. Rinse in cold water; peel off skin. Dice or shred, as desired. Should have about 1 1/2 cups. In medium saucepan heat vinegar; add sugar and stir until dissolved. Add onions, beets, horseradish and salt. Boil 10 minutes; with pan covered. Chill thoroughly before serving. Serves 8.

Do you have a favorite family recipe that you are searching for? My next recipe quest is my Grandmother Elliott's persimmon cookies.

No comments: